There have been a lot of work with prelims, new educational programs, teaching, and classes, but, I have been trying new recipes and doing a ton of dog agility with Clark.
I found a rabbitry that was trying to get rid of some of their grow out stock (100+). I needed more dog food, and some more food for myself. It was an hour to get there, and I thought it was worth it.
I picked up 12 of them (57.22 lbs), for $100. Using my coathanger and newly sharpened knife, I set to work. I am actually getting quite good at cleaning and processing, and all 12 of them took me about 3-4 hours to process. They ranged from 3.1 lbs to 6.8 lbs.
The dressing percentage of these values are 49%, meaning that the human price was less than $3.50. The range was between 43-55%, with 5 over 50, and 7 just under.
I have never been to a rabbitry before, and I was overwhelmed with the size of the operation. There were hundreds of growout battery cages with 2-6 rabbits in them. There was no noticeable smell (I mean, animal smell, but not malodorous). The animals all appeared to be healthy (it was like, 110% humidity, so… some of them were heat stressed), with clear eyes and noses.
I will say that the one that I am designing is very different. Of course, only a small backyard operation with 3-5 breeding does and two bucks.
So, I am now ready for some amazing bunny-liciousness! I keep the rear haunches, and cut up the rest for the dogs.