This is the page that features leadership programs, national and international committees, and other professional development programs that I have developed or attended. The primary professional development activities occur in K-12 education, leadership activities, and fellow graduate student activities.
Soil Science Society of America Graduate Student Membership Subcommittee
- Developed and will be Presiding over a “Getting a Job in Non Governmental Organizations” in conjunction with the Early Career Membership Committee for the 2013 American Society of Agronomy Meetings in Tampa, FL.
- Wrote professional development pieces for Crops, Soils, and Agronomy Magazine on behalf of the group, including the Art of Finding a Mentor
- Organized and Presided over the “So What’s Next” career panel for the 2012 American Society of Agronomy Meeting in Cincinnati, OH.
- Assisted in the development of a “So What’s Next” career panel for the 2011 American Society of Agronomy Meeting in San Antonio, TX.
- Helped facilitate discussion in a graduate student meet and greet for the 2011 meetings.
Soil Science Society of America K-12 Education Committee
- Updated and wrote content for the K-12 committee website content to a new web page
- Helped generate PowerPoint’s for an online teacher’s guide for the Scoop! Soils book for fourth graders
- Generated a list of activities and test question to be used in association with the teacher’s guide
- Primary Author on a “Soils and Society” book chapter for use in a middle and high school soils textbook
- Wrote curriculum on music, art, and creative writing in soil science
North Carolina State University Graduate Student Representative:
- Member of the Political Action and Special Projects Subcommittee
North Carolina State University Graduate Leadership Development Series
- Developed a postcard, online videos, and a personal marketing strategy to promote the Preparing Future Leaders program at North Carolina State
- Presented our marketing plan to the graduate school committee
- Wrote a personal development plan
Agronomy Graduate Student Association:
2009-2011 (2010 President)
- Preside over a club of 50+ members and plan speakers, club activities and athletic events.
- Created a travel scholarship program
Girls Researching Our World
- Serve as a mentor and role model at different programs throughout the year to give girls exposure to different in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math opportunities
- Planned (on the planning committee) to design a workshop for girls from 6th-8th grade in Environmental Science
Society for Undergraduate Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities (SURSCA)
River Falls, WI
2008-2009 President, 2007-2008 Communications Officer
- Oversaw public relations, advertising and communications for the club
- Organized a research presentation from a professional soil scientist on “Agriculture and Biofuels: Carbon Cycling, Sequestration and Carbon Credits” in April of 2008
- Developed and maintained the SURSCA web page as a resource to other undergraduate researchers
- Chair of the student grant committee that developed and administered UWRF’s undergraduate grant program for 2007-2008 school year
- Assisted in the planning and organizing for the 2008 Wisconsin State Research Symposium
- Created promotional brochures for SURSCA and the State SURSCA Symposium
- Wrote organizational materials on forming an undergraduate research group for other campuses
- Organized a program promoting undergraduate research for high school students
- Designed a how to brochure on finding international research internships
State SURSCA Organizational Conference
La Crosse, WI
- Organized and wrote material for a seminar on how to develop a unified undergraduate program for the state of WI
- Coordinated food, invitations, and seminar logistics